The review of the course used the M4D websites, documents, questionnaire data, and existing literature.
File and document review
All documents and files for the M4D course were available online for review, primarily from public websites, but in the case of the course itself, an archive was used for retrospective review.
Websites, files and documents reviewed were obtained from the following primary sources:
- Commonwealth of Learning: MOOC for Development (MOOC4D) http://www.col.org/progServ/programmes/KM/Pages/MOOC4D.aspx
- Commonwealth of Learning: MOOC on Mobiles for Development http://www.col.org/progServ/programmes/KM/Pages/MOOCM4D.aspx
- Facebook: MOOC on Mobile for Development http://www.facebook.com/events/141746969368053/
- Mobiles for Development: Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) by IIT Kanpur and COL http://m4d.colfinder.org
- Mobiles for Development: Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) by IIT Kanpur and COL http://www.m4d-mooc.org through an unpublished archive to M4D course site
In addition, two surveys (questionnaires) and their results were reviewed. They were:
- Questionnaire responses from 208 students who participated in the M4D MOOC
- Questionnaire responses from 5 members of the M4D MOOC development team
The student survey collected responses voluntarily and anonymously from students at the conclusion of the M4D course. The responses were collected online and exported to an Excel spreadsheet format for review and analysis. The data are presented and discussed in the Findings section of this report, which follows.
Questionnaire responses from development team members were collected in March 2014, four months after the conclusion of the M4D course. The questionnaire was conducted voluntarily and anonymously online, using FluidSurveys.ca. The data are presented and discussed in the section of this report on Findings.
Current academic literature concerning the design and delivery of MOOCs was consulted and referenced as appropriate within the report.
Literature on online course design, delivery and evaluation was also consulted and referenced as appropriate in the body of the report.